Each day starting May 1st 2013 and going until May 31st, I will publish each one of the 31 commandments of social media for businesses.
This blog article lists the best practices, tips, approaches, dos and don’ts to help you become better at social media for businesses. Besides including some of my own ideas, this is mostly a curated compilation and classification of some of the most relevant content found online including tweets, blog posts and infographics. References will be published at the end.
Feel free to download and share.
1. HAVE GOALS Just as you would with any other marketing activity, establish goals and have a strategy.
2. BE PROFITABLE Social media is not free. Measure the ROI of your efforts and optimize.
3. DON’T BE OBSESSED BY NUMBERS The number of followers or likes is less important than engagement or satisfaction.
4. MEASURE Establish a set of KPI’s that make sense for you and monitor them.
5. BE PATIENT Don’t be surprised if it takes a few months to earn a solid fan base.
6. PAY When you must, don’t be afraid to scale your reach by using paid advertising.
7. BE SELECTIVE Not every social network is for you.
8. Listen well. You’ll have something more relevant to say if you do.
9. REPLY Reply rapido to all comments, specially the negative ones.
10. DON’T BE NARCISSISTIC Telling everyone how great your products are is boring.
11. HELP Become a resource, collaborate, solve problems for people and answer questions.
12. BE FUN Keep your interactions positive and entertaining.
13. BE ORIGINAL Don’t copy. Create new content or curate the existing one.
14. SPELL-CHECK Your brand will look sloppy if you have typos.
15. BE PERTINENT Cater to each network’s audience
16. DON’T BE A ROBOT Don’t automate or cross-post the same content on all networks.
17. ADD VALUE People will only follow you for one reason, because you offer them value.
18. DON’T SELL Inform about the value of your products instead of selling. We all hate pushy sales people.
19. EXPERIMENT Discover what works best for you and don’t be afraid to make mistakes.
20. BE CURIOUS Try new tools and new networks as they come out. Stay informed.
21. EVERYONE COUNTS Everyone is a potential influencer. Don’t dismiss anyone.
22. BE CONSISTENT Social media should be a regular effort. Consistency is a sign of reliability.
23. SOME THINGS ARE BETTER PRIVATE Sensitive or personal customer issues are better dealt in private or on the phone.
24. BE HONEST Never ever lie, hide information or try to manipulate. The truth will always come out.
25. PROMOTE YOUR WEBSITE Your website is your hub. Make it beautiful and direct people to it.
26. BRAND YOURSELF Let your brand show through images and texts and please use a decent profile image.
27. USE IMAGES If well-chosen and of good quality, images can help your content be better understood and shared.
28. THE DESKTOP IS DEAD, LONG LIVE MOBILE When giving outbound links, verify that they are mobile friendly.
29. CREATE GUIDELINES Draft a social media style guide, policy and code of conduct.
30. TRAIN YOUR REPRESENTATIVES If someone is tweeting on your behalf, train them and monitor them.
31. FINALLY, DON’T TWEET AND DRIVE It’s bad for your health 🙂